Key Ideas in Art & Design: Current debates
- Writing an essay NOT a report
- Essay will be influenced by what you want to do for your FMP
- One of the reasons why students didn’t get A/B is due to not conducting enough research!
- You will not get a good grade without the research to back up your essay!!
- People will employ you because they feel that you have the ability to continue to produce professional, consistent work!
- Unit information form (available on BREO which colin was discussing to begin with)
- Contextualisation, what is going on in the world?
- Who is your audience for your chosen topic?
Debates in Practice
- You need to be well informed about who is currently out there and what they’re doing and the current trends that are being showcased.
- Create a context in which you can place your emerging practical work.
- Major Project (This is what is going to influence your grade as there is a substantial weighting on this project)
- You will get stressed, be prepared!
- Critical & contextual rationale (the reason why you’re doing something?) Why you are doing this?
- Why are some labels successful and some aren’t? (contextual substance)
- What does the label symbolise?
- Implement research strategies – make a weekly plan? watch films, read books, newspapers, google something.
- inform the nature and needs of your project; think about your strengths and weaknesses
- Use the tutorial guidance that is available to you as they are there to help you.
- history+research+studio projects+visual culture= Idea Generation
- Look at your past work, what do you enjoy? The quality of the idea is what will earn you the marks.
- Idea generation is what will make you employable because you’re aware of what is going on around you
- Be a thinking practitioner
- This term you’re looking for ideas to contextualise your essay (REPORT IS NOT AN OPTION)
- Use research to develop your work as this is what you’ll do in industry
- DJ Spooky video again (as was shown in 2nd year)
- Visual culture: always think of a collage
- Software is a tool that you use, be unique in the way you work with the software.
- Start using twitter again
- Colin advises that you watch that video over and over as it is essentially aimed at you as a creative person.
- Look at history; how is that important? What has changed?
- Max Hattler video 2009: the use of sound; include this into your work.
- Video was based on flags of the world.
- Linder Sterling (again as was used in 2nd year)
- Watch the video again as she talks about methods of working and moving forward and also how her work changed.
- All about having a framework for your work
Space to Experiment
- This could be in your home, on your phone, in the studio, outside, look beyond your usual thinking/ initial ideas.
- Nendo: Japan (another video shown in the lecture)
- Smash (material to look into as its very durable)
- Nendo means free formed clay
- “Its about the story behind the object”
- Storytelling is a great metaphor for the way to describe our work, as essentially that is what we’re doing when we work on projects.
Its in two parts, 70% is around the essay & 30% is on the journal.
Essay has to be written in an informed, scholarly way.