This week I created my first final outfit.
When I made my final garment, the stretch jersey idea that worked so well with my toile proved to be a problem with my fabric. The taffeta frayed quite easily which made it a challenge to work with. Also, I spoke to my technician who indicated that the stretch jersey would only function for a period of time. After a while it would become slack and no longer support itself. So I went back to the drawing board to find a solution to my problem.
I looked into fastenings, as I knew that I didn’t want a zip or buttons. I could’ve corseted the back but this wouldn’t have fitted into my design plan. Someone suggested hook & eye tape – like you find on gowns. So I looked into this and how much it cost. I found a bra extension in a craft shop but this wouldn’t have worked, as it was too small. So I bought some hook & eye tape from Ebay instead.
This outfit showed me that even though something worked for a toile, it doesn’t mean that it will work for a final design. My mistake was probably not trying it on a person sooner instead of just relying on the stand.
The problem solving was another area that I can say improved my skills whilst working on this outfit. I am quickly learning that things aren’t always as straight forward as they appear initially.
This worked so much better I my design and I actually preferred the finish to the jersey.
Now I am ging to move on to my second outfit.
Photos of my development: