My final outfit came together much quicker than I thought, I lined the whole garment as I wanted to hide the seams. The base layer of the dress I didn’t attach the inside layer to the outside as I lined it in the same fabric so it acts as an underskirt. I then added crochet to the bottom of the outside layer to finish.
Something that I hadn’t thought about whilst creating this dress was that the bottom was completely see-through. So when I was asked what would go underneath during my final critique, I had to have a think. I thought that I could purchase a pair of stretchy shorts to go underneath but then I came across issues of designing and styling – as the brief is for an outfit and therefore if I wanted something specific to be worn underneath, then I should consider that from a design perspective.
I know that a lot of my peers had made leotards within their collections and I thought about making some high waist pants to go under the dress.
So I tried this. It took me a few attempts to get it right and I added a small elastic waistband, which connected well to my other garments within my collection. I was really happy with my decision to make the additional garment as I think it made the outfit come together as a whole.
Creating addition items to complete an outfit has definitely taught me that the finish is everything. My design looked much better than a shop bought product and I also got more sense of achievement from it.
I’m going to finish off my portfolio pages & write up my rationale